What is the Princess Premier Beverage Package from Princess?
The Premier Beverage Package is an unlimited drinks package that you can buy as an add-on for your Princess cruise.
What does it include?
- All cocktails up to $12.
- All beers up to $12.
- All spirits up to $12.
- All glasses of wine up to $12.
- Bottled water (500ml only).
- Fountain sodas.
- Red Bull energy drinks.
- Frappes at Coffee & Cones.
- All coffee, tea, espresso and specialty drinks.
- Fresh juices (if available).
- Gong Cha items (if available).
- Smoothies and milk shakes (if available)
- 25% discount on all bottles of wine, one-litre bottles of water (if dining at a specialty venue, a large one-litre bottle of water, still or sparkling, is covered by the package), canned sodas, and bottled juices.
- The beverage package can be used on Princess Private Islands and all food and beverage venues that offer beverage service, subject to menu offerings and operating hours.
With the following limitations:
- Alcoholic drinks are limited to 15 beverages per 24-hour period (6 a.m. to 6 a.m.). Alcoholic drinks requested above the daily limits are at the discretion of the shipboard management and crew and charged at regular menu prices. Non-alcoholic drinks do not have this limitation, nor do they count towards this maximum.
- Only one beverage is allowed per passenger per order (alcoholic or non-alcoholic).
What does it exclude?
- Room service, mini bar, souvenir and vending machine items.
- Bottled spirits or bottled wine.
- Any cocktail or a glass of wine exceeding $12 – you must pay for these and cannot pay the difference.
- Any drinks for your family or partner when you have purchased the package for yourself (except when you have purchased a bottle of wine at a 40% discount which can be shared in the dining room). Note that not everyone needs to buy the package from the same cabin – it’s on a per person basis.
- Previously the package used to include large bottles of sparkling water so in the past, when we both purchased it, we would buy one and share. But be careful now as Princess will want to charge you separately for a large bottle. It is awkward as you have to remember to buy smaller bottles of water each.
What does it cost?
$68.99 per person/per day including a 15 percent gratuity per day for all itineraries except Australia.
Is it worth it?
This depends on what you think you will drink in a day. Do some calculations based on the average prices below (all including 15% gratuity):
- Teas, coffees – $2.90 for regular and $4.30 for large
- Bottled water – $3
- Beer -$7.20
- Glasses of wine – $8
- Spirits – $8.50
- Cocktails – $8.80
So if you drank 3 large coffees, 2 bottled waters, 2 glasses of wine and 4 cocktails then it would total $70.10 which exceeds the package cost per day.
Remember that you may drink less on port days compared to sea days so think about your cruise itinerary.
We have found it more convenient and you can try drinks you may not have tried otherwise! The main advantage of the Premier Beverage Package is that once you’ve got it, you don’t have to worry about the bar bill at the end of the cruise and it helps you to budget in advance.
How can I buy the package?
Either buy it pre-cruise or onboard – it is usually cheaper if you buy it before the cruise. The easiest way is to buy it from the Princess website via the cruise personaliser Onboard Reservations section. When onboard, it must be bought at the start of your cruise and cannot cover part of the cruise or individual days.
Look out for Sip n Sail offers (currently only available in the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Bermuda and the District of Columbia) which include the PBP in your cruise price.
Note that the package may be purchased up to 4 days prior to boarding, but is not available for pre-purchase within 3 days of sailing. It is offered for purchase on board only on embarkation day. Package sales are non-refundable within 3 days of sailing or once purchased on board.
The package is NOT available for cruises of fewer than 2 nights or under.
What about buying the package outside the US?
The package can be purchased via your cruise personaliser in local currency. It is usually a fixed price according to the exchange rate at the time of booking. So when exchange rates fluctuate, it might be cheaper than buying it onboard.
In Australia, the package is available $86.99 AUD per day including the gratuity, covers beverage items up to $16 and is only available on voyages 7 nights and longer. Currently you are unable to pre-purchase the drinks package from the Princess website for any Australia-based cruises.
How does it work?
The package is programmed into your cruise account. Your waiter/bar staff just needs to swipe your card for them to recognise that you have purchased the package so you will not be charged. However, you should check your onboard account just in case any charges slip through (it does happen occasionally!).
Although gratuities are included, it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t add additional tips at the end of the cruise for good service from your bar staff.
If you decide this package is for you – see you at the bar!